Join Today

Thoughts on the debate tonight

Discuss the debate and your current opinion of where this election is going in the final month

From a laymans public perception, Romney won hands down. He was aggressive and Obama looked like he stayed up all night doing blow and didn't want to be there.

However, I don't see how you win a debate when your opponent reverses his opinion on issues he's campaigned on for 6 months and just stands up there and lies.

The 700 billion medicare cut has been debunked a MILLION times by liberals and conservatives, yet he brought it up AGAIN last night.

Now, Obama has to spend time trying to debunk a lie, then make points on what he plans to do. All in a short time span. I'm sure he was blown away as I was when listening to Romney talk.

Every time Obama commented on something Romney supported or campaigned on he said "I never said that, I don't believe that anymore"

Mother fucker yes you do, I've heard you say it a million times.

It's easy to stand up there and promise the world to America. "I'm going to cut taxes, not touch military spending, and fix the economy"

Ok, sure you are. I've seen his economic plan and he contradicted it about a thousand times last night.

That's the advantage a candidate has over the president. Obama learned quickly that snapping your fingers doesn't make it happen in DC.

However, the people want someone who will promise rainbow roads and chocolate water fountains everywhere. It's how Obama won the last time. A candidate can be as vague as they want to be and promise the world change. People eat that shit up.

Obama is still going to win the election, but he lost the debate. Mostly because everything he had planned to debate Romney about was voided when candidate Romney turned into governor Romney. He shifted a lot back towards the center last night, as most candidates do after they've won the nomination.

Romney won the battle here, but when the fact checkers go through his statements, it's going to kill him. I guess Obama's plan was to just sit back and let him get busted by his own words in the coming days.

Still, he seemed out of it.

Whens the next one? Everyones saying how he lost, but like you said if the victory was based on lies then it's not going to end there. The other thing is its tougher in a debate for the sitting president because it's easy to criticize someone, he's sitting up there like a sitting duck dodging blows at his record, meanwhile its hard to criticize an opponent who hasn't done anything yet.

LOL didn't bother watching it. But now O fans are seeing why Ron Paul supporters are frustrated after dealing with Romney and why a lot are voting third party.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Whens the next one? Everyones saying how he lost, but like you said if the victory was based on lies then it's not going to end there. The other thing is its tougher in a debate for the sitting president because it's easy to criticize someone, he's sitting up there like a sitting duck dodging blows at his record, meanwhile its hard to criticize an opponent who hasn't done anything yet.

John Kerry won the first debate between he and Bush in 2004 according to most polls, but of course lost in the election. Debates seldom decide the election. I think Obama will drop maybe 2 pts. in the polls in the next few days but next week, Paul Ryan will be expected to articulate some of the positions Romney took last night, which will be hard for him to do.

The VP debate is next Wednesday - next Presidential debate will be the week following that (the 17th, i think) with another one shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Naloxone View Post
    John Kerry won the first debate between he and Bush in 2004 according to most polls, but of course lost in the election. Debates seldom decide the election. I think Obama will drop maybe 2 pts. in the polls in the next few days but next week, Paul Ryan will be expected to articulate some of the positions Romney took last night, which will be hard for him to do.

The VP debate is next Wednesday - next Presidential debate will be the week following that (the 17th, i think) with another one shortly thereafter.
    Biden is pretty much an empty suit, but I'd put money on him calling Paul Ryan a lying douchebag on live TV.

Crazy Uncle Joe gives no fucks.

So, CNN's presidential debate poll shows that 67% of the people thought Romney won. That's shocking!

Oh, but they only polled white people over 50 living in the south. lulz.

I wonder who would have won the debate if CNN polled non-white 18-35 year olds from Chicago.

Apparently, people are saying that Romney took a piece of paper out of his pocket and set it on the podium. According to the rules, this is not allowed. Each candidate is provided with a sheet of paper and a pen to take notes with, and is placed on the podium before hand.

Now, Romney was using a white hanky during the debate, so it makes more sense that he was taking a hanky out of his pocket and not a piece of paper.

I don't think you an tell from the video. IMO, it was just a hanky.

pretty stiff hanky though
    AKA Enigma

I have several. When they're new, they are folded and actually pretty stiff.

there's no way he'd pull out a paper under one of the most televised events with a million cameras on him.

well in that case, it is the size of a folded hanky.. i didnt watch the debate so if he was using it that would be a pretty big give away.. Besides, how is paper going to help, its not like he knows the questions going in.
    AKA Enigma

If I was Mitt Romney, I'd be buying a new hanky after every use. I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Double R View Post
    So, CNN's presidential debate poll shows that 67% of the people thought Romney won. That's shocking!

[IMG]ht.tp://i.imgur.com/qkWSu.png[/IMG]

Oh, but they only polled white people over 50 living in the south. lulz.

I wonder who would have won the debate if CNN polled non-white 18-35 year olds from Chicago.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archive....php?ref=fpblg

Please stop citing r/politics type sources for info - they're just as biased Foxnews is.

Late Update: We’ve dug in a little deeper on this, and there seems to be a straightforward non-nefarious explanation. It appears that where the subgroups within CNN’s representative sample of 430 voters were too small to yield statistically valid conclusions about the subgroups themselves, CNN declined to publish those results simply because they were not reliable on their own. We’re seeking confirmation from CNN, but this is the most likely explanation — one that is valid. —dk

Later Update: CNN provided us with the internals of the poll, and the demographics of the poll respondents are very much line with normal standards for randomized sampling. —dk

Yeah, Fox News always retracts stories with false info and offers explanations when get things wrong.

They were suspicious. CNN explained, and it's not as bad as it sounded.

However, when the news first broke, it did look bad.

GunSlingerTequilaDrinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Double R View Post
    Yeah, Fox News always retracts stories with false info and offers explanations when get things wrong.

They were suspicious. CNN explained, and it's not as bad as it sounded.

However, when the news first broke, it did look bad.
    bill cosby dead.

oh wait he's not.

"bro, if there's one thing ill make sure of, is that im the commander and chief in the bedroom" -Steven Siegler

zedron: hate u dan
    zedron: HA, Fuck you Dan

zedron: Why I am strapped wherever I go. I had a Mexican lawn guy pull a machete on me at a gas station. He got shot in the leg.