Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Review: Xbox 360 Xkey

So. Here is the first part of the review. This is for an Xbox Phat.

When you get you Xk3y kit in the mail and open it up you will receive the following:
    1. Xk3y board
    2. Remote
    3. USB Dongle
    4. Two different size flat ribbon cables
    5. 128MB Micro SD card
    6. Power cable
    7. SATA cable
    8. USB --> Micro USB cable
    9. Insulator cut out
    1.jpg

After uploading the original drive firmware with my DVD key to the micro SD card I inserted the card into the Xk3y board, added a flat ribbon cable, and then covered it up with the insulator cut out. I had a USB micro USB adapter I used to upload firmware to card.
    2.jpg
    I then proceeded to dissemble the Xbox. The fitment is really tight with the Xk3y in place and the way the cables get routed is in my opinion dumb. I feel that they could have done a better job on plug placement for the cables to plug into the Xk3y board. Here it is hooked up in the xbox and then in it permanent place. Notice the ribbon cable sticking out through the rear USB location on the xbox.
    3.jpg4.jpg
    Plug the flat ribbon cable into the USB dongle and then plug dongle into rear USB port.
    5.jpg
    Now to test the key and ensure it powers up using both boot up methods. Normal mode and pass through mode. Normal mode is when you will use the Xk3y and you activate it by turning the Xbox on with the power button or the X button on the controller. Pass through mode is if you want to use the DVD drive for some reason. To activate that mode and disable the Xk3y, ensure the Xbox is powered off and turn it on with the eject button the drive. NOTE: Some slim models do not power on with the eject key. To get to pass through mode if this is the case, turn on Xbox with power button and within 1 second press eject button on drive.

Normal mode.
    6.jpg
    Pass through mode:
    7.jpg

Everything works so far so I am going to put the Xbox back together. If you want you can try to play a game via HDD and ISO to ensure you don't receive the e65 error. This error is an error associated with an incorrect firmware file loaded to the micro USB card. I am confident I put the correct one on there and will reassemble.

Here it is put back together with the USB dongle attached and flat ribbon cable plugged into dongle.
    8.jpg

Thats it for now. Stay tuned for the continuation when I actually play some game ISOs.
    Part II:

I created a backup ISO of Darksiders II and loaded onto my external. I went to play it and I got an AP25 error on teh Xk3y remote. I looked at the Xk3y firmware version I had and it was 1.06 and the latest release is 1.23. So, I downloaded the new firmware, put it on the external drive and the Xk3y found it automatically and upgraded. When it was done it said to reboot Xbox. I rebooted the box, selected the ISO from the Xk3y remote and voila, the game loaded fine.

OVERALL:
    9/10

Pros:
    Easy to use
    Actually works like it is advertised
    No need to flash to original firmware if you have a drive that is already flashed. This saved me some time.
    Xk3y upgrades are simple

Cons:
    Only con is the way the SATA connectors are arranged on the Xk3y board.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (93.2 KB, 37 views)

wat dat iz?
    aka B18C5er

is that for the HDD? i vaguely remember reading up on it at some point. i gotta sort out my phat's firmware... few games i want to play dropping this fall
    '95 Civic Sedan + '08 Fit Sport

damn thats pretty damn cool I fell off the xbox scene for awhile after most my boxes got banned and i gave up on flashing them all the time. It became annoying..this is pretty damn cool

once xbox live is enabled i'll grab one.

i am intrigued as well. more information plz.

Basically the days of flashing drives is now over. I was re flashing my shit like every month it seemed with new updates and shit for the dash and games, so I gave up. Havent touched my box since LA Noire came out. Was waiting on this to get reqorked and it now has. It has for a while, I just forgot about it.

What it is is a linux distro that sits in between the Xbox mobo and the DVD Drive and emulates a drive. It allows you to play "back up" games from a hard drive plugged into the USB port on the console. It supports all current piracy protections and is a million times safer than drive flashing (basically undetectable if backups are correct).

Quote Originally Posted by zedron View Post
    Basically the days of flashing drives is now over. I was re flashing my shit like every month it seemed with new updates and shit for the dash and games, so I gave up. Havent touched my box since LA Noire came out. Was waiting on this to get reqorked and it now has. It has for a while, I just forgot about it.

What it is is a linux distro that sits in between the Xbox mobo and the DVD Drive and emulates a drive. It allows you to play "back up" games from a hard drive plugged into the USB port on the console. It supports all current piracy protections and is a million times safer than drive flashing (basically undetectable if backups are correct).
    yea I was reading that, that's pretty damn sick. I'll be picking one up. The fact you don't need to flash all the time is pretty damn good feature. that shit was so annoying.

Damn, just saw you still need to extract the key from the drive.

Fuck, I really don't want to go through all the again. I know you only have to do it once, but shit.

you can get on live with it????

just torrent gamews put em on harddrive and play???
    97 4Runner 5spd - 3in Toytec suspension lift w/Pro Comp shocks. 2in body lift. 17in dick cepek dc-2. 33in Nitto Terra Graplers. 3in Cat-back. ISR Delete. HREW tubing Rock Sliders. Outdoor Logic front wench bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    Damn, just saw you still need to extract the key from the drive.

Fuck, I really don't want to go through all the again. I know you only have to do it once, but shit.
    Why you no save key from when you did it the first time? You dont have to flash drive back to stock. As long as you have the original key dump saved somewhere you just upload it to device.

Quote Originally Posted by civcmatt View Post
    you can get on live with it????

just torrent gamews put em on harddrive and play???
    Pretty much. When you download the ISO files, run them through ABGX360 to ensure they are patched correctly and what not. Once you do that you put on external drive and play.

No I didn't save the key. I probably should of, but I didn't.

I should probably grab one as well even though I had flashing down to an art form lol. I have one stock drive (to swap in when db update is released) and one that i flash to the next CFW. definitely annoying having to do that shit every few months or so though; considering i don't have an XBL account and my box was bought banned, I really have nothing to lose.

what site did you order it off, overseas??

Quote Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post
    I should probably grab one as well even though I had flashing down to an art form lol. I have one stock drive (to swap in when db update is released) and one that i flash to the next CFW. definitely annoying having to do that shit every few months or so though; considering i don't have an XBL account and my box was bought banned, I really have nothing to lose.

what site did you order it off, overseas??
    modchipsdirect.com

Located in Cali.

Mine should arrive tomorrow sometime.

cool, let me know how it is cuz i'll spend the money if it's legit and works perfect out of the box. dunno anyone who has one locally...

would be so much easier to just run the ISOs cuz i hate buying/burning the dual layer discs.

Installing now.

Review part one added.

Completed. Thing works great. Fuck flashing drive firmware.

Yea that seems to be a huge time savor.

Now how does it work when there is a dashboard update?

*edit*

nevermind i see you uplodaed the firmware to the external drive

When I hooked it up and had the Xk3y updated I logged into live and had to dl an update. I just downloaded it like normal and it installed the new Kinect dash I didn't have. The only requirement for the Xk3y is that the original firmware has to be = to or post the update that MSFT released that did some shit to the drives.

so that adapter that sticks out of the back is what allows you to affix any ext HDD??

okay so i believe my current drive (liteon) has LT+ 2.0 installed, but i do have the drive with the stock firmware. would it be easier to just swap in the stock one to use with this or does it really matter? i may do this only because my box is banned already and i don't have XBL--therefore i usually update db with a flash drive. i'm not sure what dashboard i'm running but i can find out.