Join Today

Thread: MY MKII GTI

MY MKII GTI

Bought this car last night. The body is in pretty good shape for a 27 year old car. Car has some electric problems that I hope to fix in the next couple of weeks, and the interior needs some work. The seller included a new dash, so that will be my next project, once the car is running.
    WP_000032.jpgWP_000037.jpgWP_000038.jpgWP_000039.jpgWP_000040.jpgWP_000041.jpgWP_000043.jpgWP_000044.jpgWP_000045.jpg

Cool project. What are your plans for it? I hope taking off those stickers is part of it.

VR6 Swap do it. Actually VR6T.

thing is pretty cool! i liked those old ones. have a lot of potential as well!
    97 4Runner 5spd - 3in Toytec suspension lift w/Pro Comp shocks. 2in body lift. 17in dick cepek dc-2. 33in Nitto Terra Graplers. 3in Cat-back. ISR Delete. HREW tubing Rock Sliders. Outdoor Logic front wench bumper

A VR6 or 1.8t swap is definity in the future. I just have to research more on what parts I need and how much the swap will cost me. It might worth just waiting till I got the money to do that, instead of trying to get the current motor to run.

My other plans are:
    Interior
    Replace the front seats with some Recaros from that era (just got to find a pair)
    Repalce the dash with the newer one the seller supplied
    Exterior
    Paint the car Alpine White
    install rear fender flares

sorry to say though...those wheels are fugly! lol.
    97 4Runner 5spd - 3in Toytec suspension lift w/Pro Comp shocks. 2in body lift. 17in dick cepek dc-2. 33in Nitto Terra Graplers. 3in Cat-back. ISR Delete. HREW tubing Rock Sliders. Outdoor Logic front wench bumper

I had a MkI, but i never got to like it. raced it a little bit, could say i learned to race in that car and it was fun, but there was a point after a few races i just didn't like it anymore, so i sold it.

"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." -Bullet Tooth Tony

I'm jelly. Love the wheels.

love the golf ball shift knob
    '95 Civic Sedan + '08 Fit Sport

Electrical problems........VW, ya don't say lol

JK good luck with it
    05 Acura RSX-S - 228/160 Bolt ons + KPRO
    Yonkers Racing Vids

Quote Originally Posted by 91integrs View Post
    A VR6 or 1.8t swap is definity in the future. I just have to research more on what parts I need and how much the swap will cost me. It might worth just waiting till I got the money to do that, instead of trying to get the current motor to run.

My other plans are:
    Interior
    Replace the front seats with some Recaros from that era (just got to find a pair)
    Repalce the dash with the newer one the seller supplied
    Exterior
    Paint the car Alpine White
    install rear fender flares
    Hit up JP (JPizzo)....he recently did a VR6 swap in his Rabbit. 12V I believe are not very expensive.
    05 Acura RSX-S - 228/160 Bolt ons + KPRO
    Yonkers Racing Vids

Well... I got the car running today, but something is draining the battery; probably an open circuit. The car runs a little rough but no smoke. My Bentley manual came in today, so I have some reading to do.

The brakes on the car are shot, so I am going to pick up some rotors and pads tomorrow. Oh, the stickers have been removed

Well... I have remplaced the pads and rotors for all four wheels, the master cylinder and I am still not getting any pressure when tryign to bleed the brakes. I did notice that the check valve on the booster vacuum hose is broken. I am now trying to track down this part, since it has been discontinued. I am probably going to need to replace the brake lines as well, since I cannot get the pistons to engage for the front passenger and rear drivers side brake. I have even tried replacing the calipers. Does anyone know any places that sell old VW parts? I have tried a number of parts sites from vwvortex without any luck.

vr bolts right into a mk2. u would be stupid not to take advantage of that. The custom fab on my mk1 was annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by PiZzO View Post
    vr bolts right into a mk2. u would be stupid not to take advantage of that. The custom fab on my mk1 was annoying...
    Dang VR in a MK1...Car must fly. I think I am leaning more into putting in a 1.8T from an older Audi TT. I would be happy with around 200hp.

This last month:
    I find the part I was looking for and got the brakes working good
    Got the car running decent enough to pass emissions.
    Bought a set of door cards on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...torefresh=true
    Fixed the exhaust and got the car running good enough to pass emissions.
    Replaced the hazard switch and got the hazard light working, but I still have to order a new turn signal switch to get the turn signals working.
    Clay bar the car and got most of what looks like black overspray.

Hopefully in the next couple of months when the weather is cooler, I will have the turn signals working and the suspension replaced (car rides like shit). Then, I can start putting money away for a swap, sometime next Spring.

Some recent updated pictures of the car. I should have some interior shots this weekend. I had the brake light switch go out on me, so I have to put the dash back together.
    WP_000090.jpg
    WP_000091.jpg

So far I have done the following:
    - Had some retired VW mechanic put in a new head that he built.
    - Had all vaccum leaks fixed
    - Replaced injectors
    - Replaced the fuel filter and the housing that I cracked trying to replace the fuel filter.
    - Got the newer dash put in that came with the car
    - Replaced the gauge cluster with one that works
    - New GTI door cards and seats
    - Clay bared and waxed the car (Got most of the black overspray and pin stripping off)
    - Relayed both the high and low beams, due to the car having the H4 light conversion; however, still having problems with the low beams being dim. I am thinking about replacing the grill with the four light grill and replacing the H4 bulbs and running the middle lights as fogs.

Other Summer 110 degree projects for the car
    - Fix the exhaust rattle
    - Replace tires
    - Replace suspension with some decent coilovers
    - Replace Grill
    - Remove Tint

I was hoping to have this complted this month, but with selling my house, starting a new job and moving, time is not on my side right now.
    Last edited by 91integrs; 04-08-2013 at 10:24 PM.

looking good dude! A claybar goes a really long way!

when you remove the Tint...are you going to retint????
    Last edited by civcmatt; 04-09-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by civcmatt View Post
    looking good dude! A claybar goes a really long way!

when you remove the Tint...are you going to retint????
    only the rear window has bubbles in it, so I might just have it replaced.

Got a little bit of time on Friday night to put the FK Sportlines in. Suspension rides pretty decent for only paying $479 for the Coilovers. It will ride even better once I get an alignment and some new tires.
    WP_000140.jpgWP_000141.jpgWP_000143.jpg

I keep forgetting to take some pictures of the interior, since I replaced the seats and door cards.