Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thats Mr. Cage to you

1996 Dodge Dakota - 50.00 Rustoleum Paint Job

Im more or less just reserving this thread right now for progress pics . .

I picked up a 1996 Dodge Dakota Sport (single cab) for 700.00. 151k miles, mechanically runs awesome, and the interior is really clean for the year . . . but the body is a little beat up and there is some dents and dings i have to pull out and bondo. NO rust whatsoever, except on the rear bumper which will be replaced with a roll pan.

Just for the hell of it. . . Im going to attempt to do all the body work myself using my garage and Harbor Freight el-cheapo tool sets. This is my first attempt at body work on a car. And ill be applying a Rustoleum paint job. I already have all the paint. . basically costed me 50.00 and some change.

Im giving myself 5-6 days for all the body work and prep. . so i should be ready to start shooting paint by next Fri or Sat.

wish me luck. . Ill post pics as soon as i get them loaded up from my camera

good luck man. Some of the honda-tech guys do the same 50 dollar paint jobs and I'm amazed at how good they actually come out.

get some pics up.
    2013 Honda Civic Si Sedan -- Daily
    1999 Honda Civic Si -- 6165 powered/H2B
    2008 Chevy Silverado -- Toy Hauler

ya i wanna see pix asap......

my dad and i have a 74 FJ40 that we are trying to restore that is taking forever because im so busy so i want to learn to do body work on my own....cuz im planning on slamming that thing into rocks big time and just pull em out, repaint cheaply and call it a day.

so ya post up progress stuff and tips and what not cuz im really interested on how it goes.
    97 4Runner 5spd - 3in Toytec suspension lift w/Pro Comp shocks. 2in body lift. 17in dick cepek dc-2. 33in Nitto Terra Graplers. 3in Cat-back. ISR Delete. HREW tubing Rock Sliders. Outdoor Logic front wench bumper

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    well, i lost alot of pics due to my stupid SD Card getting corrupt some how . . . so the photos will start about 4 or 5 days into the work. Im also behind schedule due to all the rain we have been getting in Central Florida. . . . but anywho. .

And again, bare in mind this is my first time doing anything auto-body related . . and i have never painted a car. The only knowledge i have is basically reading tutorials and watching a shit load of youtube videos. So if I can do it. . it should be just as easy for anyone else to do

Here is the paint and stuff ill be using. .

Rustoleum paint costs about 8.00 a quart. You mix it 50/50 with 100% mineral spirits, so you really get 2 quarts out of the one can. It should be enough to do the entire truck provided i dont fuck up too bad lol

Rustoleum primer was about 7.00, im not diluting it at all. . it seems to spray just fine from the gun. No spitting or misting

The pneumatic spray gun was purchased from Harbor Freight for 16.00, the air regulator was 4.00, and the filter was about another 4.00

Also purchased another hand sander from harbor freight. Ive just been using regular random cycle hand sanders. I start sanding areas with 320 grit, or ill use 260 to get through the areas where the clear coat is lifted, then go back over it with 320, then i have been using 400 for a final sand before primer. Everything so far has come out really smooth.

Spray gun is attached to a cheap 250.00 26 gallon oil-less Husky air compressor. It works, but you do have to often wait on the compressor to kick in, then shut off. I would recommend doing this with a 33 gallon or larger air compressor if you have one available to you.

This is the hood after sanded, 1 spot bondo'ed and primed.

This is how the truck sits now. Today i will get started on the passenger side, and hopefully start shooting paint tomorrow

and here is just random images of the bondo, and sanding work so far

. . . pretty much complete on the drivers side, just needs a final sand with 400 grit

Here is the tailgate after all dents were pulled, a small amount of bondo, and primered. Ill shoot this piece first, just so i can show you guys the color and what the rest of the truck will pretty much look like

. . so thats it so far. Today i will remove the front grill, all of the lights, front & rear bumper, hood vents, and get the passenger side sanded down. .

to be continued. . .
    Last edited by Cage; 05-19-2012 at 02:14 PM.

some of the spots you did bondo look like you didnt feather the edges enough.. it will show up after the paint is on.

sometimes you have to have an excess amount on there to get it smooth.. also make sure you sand with a block, do not sand with the Palm sander (DA). you can, but its gunna come out shitty.

the paint will spray about as good as the primer but wont cover near enough. you will need at least 2 good coats, dont spray the first coat very heavy, it will just waste paint. I dont think 2 quarts is gunna be enough honestly. i would go for 3-4 coats if you want a good finish that will last.

Other than that it looks like you are doing just fine man.. the only 2 hard things about painting is prep work and clear coat.. since you are doing single stage you only have to worry about 1 hard part.
    this was not a $50 paint job but just to show i know a little about it.
    Taurusbefore.jpg
    Taurusmidway.jpg
    taurusnewquarter.jpg
    IMG00004-20100713-1545.jpg
    AKA Enigma

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
    some of the spots you did bondo look like you didnt feather the edges enough.. it will show up after the paint is on.

sometimes you have to have an excess amount on there to get it smooth.. also make sure you sand with a block, do not sand with the Palm sander (DA). you can, but its gunna come out shitty.

the paint will spray about as good as the primer but wont cover near enough. you will need at least 2 good coats, dont spray the first coat very heavy, it will just waste paint. I dont think 2 quarts is gunna be enough honestly. i would go for 3-4 coats if you want a good finish that will last.

Other than that it looks like you are doing just fine man.. the only 2 hard things about painting is prep work and clear coat.. since you are doing single stage you only have to worry about 1 hard part.
    this was not a $50 paint job but just to show i know a little about it.
    Taurusbefore.jpg
    Taurusmidway.jpg
    taurusnewquarter.jpg
    IMG00004-20100713-1545.jpg
    ill get pics up showing the final sand, i have basically been DA sanding until everything is feathered, Prime, Block sand with 1000-1200 grit. . .

and i was guessing on the amount of paint according to what other people used. . ill go for 4 coats, so ill buy paint as needed . . .

ill have more pics up tonight after im all cleaned up and can actually touch my camera again lol. .

thanks enigma

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    I got a lot done today. . so theres a lot of pics. . .

and finally, all primered

just need to let dry, final sand on the primer, then shoot with paint

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    and for Enigma. . heres some better shots with the bondo feathered. .

Looks like you're doing a pretty decent job. I wish I knew more about autobody work.

^ its pretty easy man, only hard parts get into cutting and welding.

yeah Cage, thats looking pretty good man.. The primer should be able to fill in up to 220-320 grit sand paper, you dont have to sand it any finer ( i always used 320). since you are going single stage, when you sand the primer before paint, just use 400 or if its smooth to your liking just use a red scotch bright pad and lightly scuff it.
    Im pretty sure it will come out well man, you are on the right track for sure.
    AKA Enigma

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    well, starting out i was going to do a few coats, but since i had extra paint . . i went ahead and shot the truck with 6 coats lol . . . and i still have about 1/3 of paint left, along with a small amount that i still have mixed. . .

There are some light runs im hoping will wet sand out, I screwed up on the passenger side and had my spray pattern way too narrow. . . and since i painted outside, there is some trash in the paint as expected. . but with some wet sanding, and minor touch ups. . i think it will be o.k.

I didnt do as good as i hoped on the bondo work, but being my first attempt, i never expected it to come out perfect either. . you can still see some dings and inconsistencies . . but nothing Ill loose sleep over. . this is just a 700.00 beater and i dont plan on treating her kindly lol

After the paint dries. . wet sand, buff and polish. . it should really bring out the shine. . then ill work on DIY bed liner . . .

I say black on the grill.

And for bedliner look up Als liner. It is some of the best stuff ive seen. 100 bucks to do your bed, Pretty cheap and it is a durable 3 part blended polyurathane not cheap shit like herculiner or duplicolor.
    The artist formerly known as boosted_sileighty

Gees man, I was hoping its come out a little better than that. Decent job for your first time though.
    2013 Honda Civic Si Sedan -- Daily
    1999 Honda Civic Si -- 6165 powered/H2B
    2008 Chevy Silverado -- Toy Hauler

that pretty much came out like compelte shit

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    you guys know its not done right? I have to give it a few days to cure and shit so i can wet sand, buff, and polish. . . geez

Whatever makes you sleep at night

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    Whatever makes you sleep at night
    same color paint. . same amount of coats . . after color sand, wet sand, buff, and polish. . . .

at least let me FINISH the work before you call it shit lol

you guys are fkn dumb..

should just spend the extra money and clear it, fk wet sand and polish LOL. regardless its gunna come out good man. just so much work. clearing would be better, but the compressor HAS to keep up, you cant just stop and wait
    AKA Enigma

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    same color paint. . same amount of coats . . after color sand, wet sand, buff, and polish. . . .

at least let me FINISH the work before you call it shit lol
    looks wavy as hell.

reminds me of a maico job.

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    looks wavy as hell.

reminds me of a maico job.
    lol. . . for 50.00 thats what you get. .

what would be the point in getting a 700.00 beater and dropping another 800.00 in paint ?

its oil based paint. .of course its not going to come out looking like a chip foose paint job lmao