Join Today

How NOT to Lower Your Car

Because Racecarô

Here I just spent about $2500 getting my suspension completely dialed in. Apparently all I had to do was cut a couple pieces of metal and use some nuts and bolts.

Damn...
    Because Racecarô

next time youll know, as will I.

you can safely do extended tophats like this. but you need to use the correct materials to do so.

a couple of guys in the 2g crowd have been doing it for years with no i'll effect. i would personally never do it because i know better but it's possible. i would rather use a method that involves welding and oem + equipment.

this guy is just a moron and needs to have his driving privileges taken away. rusty bolts. sad.
    Last edited by XGRaViSmOrSX; 02-21-2012 at 01:08 AM.

That just scares the shit out of me. I'll stick to a proper coil over setup. Amazing the difference quality suspension components make.
    Because Racecarô

usually you would do something like this:

this way you arent placing the load of the suspension on 3 specific points. i'll probably wind up going with a set up like this on my prelude since im going to be going sort of low and dont want to kill my ride quality

i had the corvette lowered by a shop, but that car had lowering bolts and adjustable camber, so you didnt have to spend any money on parts, just the tuning. if you wanted to lower it even more you had to get long bolts though. it looked sick after but it didnt drive right. it was more darty and had less self centering.

Why can't they just cut their springs like normal people do.

yikes, i figured cutting your springs was the most ghetto way to lower your car... i've never seen that shit before
    '95 Civic Sedan + '08 Fit Sport

so glad my coilovers came in today so I didnt have to resort to this
    beatiger1

Quote Originally Posted by Be A Tiger View Post
    so glad my coilovers came in today so I didnt have to resort to this
    even with coils some cars will still bottom out the strut if you go low enough, causing the life of the strut to lessen. top hats extension allows further travel in the strut. usually you bottom out the upper control arm before you top out the strut.

im saying more in line with extended top hats properly done. not that nut/bolt extension bullshit

Yo..put springs on your springs dawg.

LOL i wonder how it felt hitting a bump!

or you could just spend the money and buy a proper coil/strut setup. Even though is almost $2k for the kit, the KW V3s or HPA SHS coilovers are on my list due to the HPA's being tuned for comfort and the KWs having full adjustment on the struts.

I'm in love with my KW's. I went with the V1's and don't regret them at all. They're awesome!
    Because Racecarô

stanced y0
    aka B18C5er

omg thats freaking sad. shit you can buy ebay coilovers for like 50 bucks tops.
    97 4Runner 5spd - 3in Toytec suspension lift w/Pro Comp shocks. 2in body lift. 17in dick cepek dc-2. 33in Nitto Terra Graplers. 3in Cat-back. ISR Delete. HREW tubing Rock Sliders. Outdoor Logic front wench bumper