Join Today
    Thats Mr. Cage to you

Any one else really bad at consoling people?

So walk into work this morning, and we have this admin who just returned after a miscarriage. While i walk in i see she's just sitting there crying while looking at a sonogram of her baby that she set as a back ground on her computer

now. . .In my mind, all i want to do is turn around and walk the fuck out like i forgot something in my car. Let someone else run into that shit and let it be their problem . . but it didn't seem right so i sucked it up and walked over to her.

so i do the typical "are you o.k." when i know thats the dumbest fucking question in the world. (obviously shes had better days) and sort of pat her on the back. she stands up out of her chair and puts this bear hug of death around me so quick i didnt even have time to lift my arms out of the way. so with her wrapping my arms to my side and making a huge tear puddle on the middle of my favorite work shirt im just standing there like a mute thinking to myself "this bitch needs to get off me"

so I pry her arms off me and tell her to sit down while i go get her some water and tissue. I go get it, bring it back and set it on her desk. now shes at the point of hyperventilation, and im at the point of a much needed retreat. I stood there like a dumb ass looking at her for a good awkward minute or so and all i can muster up to say is "you can always try to have another one"

she immediately stops crying, and gives me this evil cold stare. That kind of stare where you know she is wishing that everything bad in the world will just hit me all at once lol . . . but just stares without saying a word. So i sort of give her a little smile and my parting words are. "Well, just let me know if i can do anything else . . . "

then walked off in shame hahaha

looking back, im sure that telling her to 'try for another one' came off more as an offer then words of sympathy lol

I've had some doosies, but that takes the cake. God, you're like Michael Scott in The Office.
    Because Racecarô

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    lol pretty much man

when im depressed, or crying over the loss of someone or something. . the last thing i want is people around me, trying to hug me, and tell me it will be o.k.

really, i just want to escape everyone on earth and sort the shit out in my own head. Im not a "share your feelings" kind of person. . so maybe that has something to do with it. Usually, when someone who is crying and shit comes into my path, i usually stop, turn around, and walk the other way. . because when i actually do try to help. . it ends up even worst hahaha

Scotty, that was the funniest shit i've read in along time. And absolutely would've said the same thing lol. That's the "I really don't give a fuck, please stop with the emotional bullshit so I can go about my workday. AKA i don't give a shit". Kudos to you for being real. Thats a man response. Make another one and shut the fuck up. /heartless

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    double post
    Last edited by Cage; 03-27-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    Quote Originally Posted by PiZzO View Post
    Scotty, that was the funniest shit i've read in along time. And absolutely would've said the same thing lol. That's the "I really don't give a fuck, please stop with the emotional bullshit so I can go about my workday. AKA i don't give a shit". Kudos to you for being real. Thats a man response. Make another one and shut the fuck up. /heartless
    Pizzo, you get me man

That's why your homie for life

You have to be careful around women and miscarriages, some of them treat them like nothing, others treat them like they lost a child. It's pretty fucked up. The best thing to do is just avoid altogether. The response was fine btw. It's not out of context or anything.

must be the emotional connection with the baby being inside for some time. i would avoid it or would've said similar to what Scott said.....lulz heartless.

Thats Mr. Cage to you
    its was sort of like a "when keeping it real goes wrong" episode hahaha

just start leaving random metal coat hangers all twisted up in the office

i'm a quiet guy. sometimes it has helped me at consoling people because they just want to let it all out and have someone that is a good listener. i'm good listener. when it's time to give some advice though... i'm fucked.

"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." -Bullet Tooth Tony