Join Today

All set for reloading

Well, it has been a while since I started putting together my ammunition reloading setup and I just finished my first set of ammo. I am reloading 7.62x54r for my M28/30 target rifle since no company makes the right ammo for it. Here are some photos. I have everything needed to process brass; tumbler for polishing, deprimer, case trimmer, deburring tool, full length case sizing. So, if any of you guys end up with a bunch of brass after a long trip to the range, toss me a line and I will see if I can use it. Right now, I have dies for 7.62x54r and 45ACP. I am looking at getting dies for 44 mag, .225/5.56, 9mm, 40SW, 38 special. Probably 303 brit as well.2013-01-27_22-54-30_135.jpg2013-01-27_22-53-30_527.jpg2013-01-21_15-16-34_799.jpg

I REALLY want to get into reloading .45 and .303 mainly, but i have no freaking clue where to start :/ Any ideas ?

Books. Start with literature. You can put together all kinds of tools and equipment, but you gotta have the data or all those tools are useless. Reloading can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. You want to get a good idea of what you are doing and what is safe and correct before you start reloading. For instance, I loaded several dummy rounds with no powder in them before getting everything set correctly. Once you get comfortable with what you need, the tools really arent that expensive. You could spend a ton of money on equipment, but honestly, you dont need the expensive equipment unless you are reloading thousands upon thousands of rounds.

GunSlingerTequilaDrinker
    Quote Originally Posted by boofthese View Post
    I REALLY want to get into reloading .45 and .303 mainly, but i have no freaking clue where to start :/ Any ideas ?
    get the ABC's of reloading, and look up vids on youtube.

then once you decide what you want to do get at least 1 or 2 reloading manuals or get in with a reloading forum.

I suggest getting a lee setup, single stage is fine, but i prefer a turret with the auto rachet removed.

there are a bunch fo us that reload here
    "bro, if there's one thing ill make sure of, is that im the commander and chief in the bedroom" -Steven Siegler

zedron: hate u dan
    zedron: HA, Fuck you Dan

zedron: Why I am strapped wherever I go. I had a Mexican lawn guy pull a machete on me at a gas station. He got shot in the leg.

GunSlingerTequilaDrinker
    Quote Originally Posted by ISPKI View Post
    Well, it has been a while since I started putting together my ammunition reloading setup and I just finished my first set of ammo. I am reloading 7.62x54r for my M28/30 target rifle since no company makes the right ammo for it.
    where are you getting components (powders and primers specifically) if its not far, i would like a secondary shop if if my primary runs out
    "bro, if there's one thing ill make sure of, is that im the commander and chief in the bedroom" -Steven Siegler

zedron: Why I am strapped wherever I go. I had a Mexican lawn guy pull a machete on me at a gas station. He got shot in the leg.

I was going to a store in windsor - Riverview gun sales, but they just lost their FFL and will probably close down. I went to Cabela's for the powder and bullets. They still have a large supply of materials - a few aisles in fact. I think, when all the small stores run out, Cabelas will still have stock since they are just so darn massive. Besides, most people who are panic buying are not buying up the reloading supplies as much as all the other, more common stuff.

Lee presses are cheap and you can tell in some aspects of their build quality. They use aluminum in parts where other companies use steel or iron. But, my challenger press is well designed and everything that needs to be tough (the hinges and linkages) is made of grade 8 steel and what not. I like it because a similar press made by one of the other reloading companies will easily cost you 150$ and do the same job and load the same ammo. Sure, those presses will last for 200 years, but I have spoken to alot of gentlemen who have been loading with their Lee press for over 25 years. Thats a good 50$ investment.

Lee's dies are nice. My challenger press has breech lock sleeves so you just set the die height with the sleeve, then drop the sleeve into the press and lock it in with a spring loaded retainer. I set my die height once and never have to thread them in or out again.

GunSlingerTequilaDrinker
    oh yea, you guys have a cabelas

my only gripe with the single stages is you have to remove the shell for each stage (unless you change out the dies) either way theres a chance of spillage with a primed/charged case.

the manual turret allows you to have 3 (or 4 stages, depending on model) on one press. a turn of the turret advances the next day and the case remains in the press. easier for higher production in pistol size calibers. I can understand going slow with target grade rifle ammo, but i shoot a minimum of 100 rounds pre match, not including practice (and thats if im not running russian ammo), so i guess it benefits me more running a turret.

Yeah, I have to run these cases through a full length sizing die to drop the necks down from .311 to .307, then load a .308 into them. It takes quite a bit of oomf to do it (notice how far I have the arm extended on my press D:). Not sure I would want to use a turret press for that kind of work. It is difficult even with imperial sizing wax!

Holy shit, I forgot you are in NY...I am so sorry for you. I was going to say that you can always just order this stuff online...

GunSlingerTequilaDrinker
    Quote Originally Posted by ISPKI View Post
    Yeah, I have to run these cases through a full length sizing die to drop the necks down from .311 to .307, then load a .308 into them. It takes quite a bit of oomf to do it (notice how far I have the arm extended on my press D:). Not sure I would want to use a turret press for that kind of work. It is difficult even with imperial sizing wax!

Holy shit, I forgot you are in NY...I am so sorry for you. I was going to say that you can always just order this stuff online...
    personally id rather drive (if its close enough) to get supplies, it off sets the hazmat fee, and it supports small business